Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars

        So I have been dead silent on this blog since the Criterion Blogathon, which was sudden and I apologize. It is not because I was frustrated and exhausted with writing something new, it is because I was frustrated and exhausted with getting this damn video essay done!


        This video was the final project for one of my Film Theory class this semester. The teacher required us to create a video essay about a film or films and analyze them in the context of a certain critic or theorist like Susan Sontag, Andre Bazin, and Walter Benjamin. In this case I touched upon Truffaut and talked about auteur theory, adaptation and authorship through the context of the Akire Kurosawa's Yojimbo and the western remake A Fistful of Dollars by Sergio Leone. Its rough, admittedly, I wish I could get rid of the redundant title card and mixed the sound better; but that's show business! Plus it was fun to find ways to talk about film outside of writing essays and reviews.
         Anyway, this video is more analysis and than review so I'll say right here that Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars are classics that are must-see films. Actually, check out just marathon all of Kurosawa's and Leone's films, their bodies of work represent some of the best action and art filmmaking in the world.
         (The video essay is also available on Vimeo, just in case the Youtube video goes missing for some reason)

No comments:

Post a Comment